Botulism associated with feeding alfalfa hay to horses
Wichtel, JeffreyWhitlock, R. H.
Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
Botulism was believed to be the cause of progressive symmetric myasthenia in 8 horses on a farm in North Carolina. One horse was found dead, 6 were euthanatized after becoming recumbent, and 1 affected horse recovered. Cecal and colonic contents of 2 horses were determined to contain Clostridium botulinum spores. Alfalfa hay that was fed to the horses contained spores and toxin.