Dr. Walshaw is originally from England and a graduate of the University of Glasgow School of Veterinary Medicine. He completed a surgical residency in 1976 at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine and was board certified by the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 1980. He served as Professor of Small Animal Surgery at Michigan State University from 1976 until 2002. From there, he moved to Prince Edward Island, Canada and was on staff as Professor of Companion Animal Surgery at the Atlantic Veterinary College (University of Prince Edward Island). He later joined the Animal Cancer Imaging Center in Michigan in the United States.
- New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 2006
- American Journal of Veterinary Research, 2005
- Veterinary Surgery: VS: The Official Journal of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, 2005
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, 2004
- Veterinary Surgery: VS: The Official Journal of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, 2004
- No classification given