Dr. Runyon obtained top honors in her High School as well as the State Exams. After obtaining her BSc from Marymount College in Kansas she worked as a Medical Technologist for two years at Denver General Hospital. To presue her dream of becoming a Veterinarian Orthopedic Surgeon she became a surgery technician for Dr Donald Piermattei prior to entering Colorado State University - College of Veterinary Medicine where she obtained her DVM in 1977. After graduation she returned home to New Jersey where she worked in a private practice. Within a year she accepted a Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Internship at Iowa State University. Immediately upon completion she was offered her Surgery Residency in Small Animal Surgery and accepted into the Masters of Science Program at Iowa State University.
Dr. Runyon spent four years as an Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Iowa State University before accepting the Associate Professor of Small Animal Surgery at University of Prince Edward Island - Atlantic Veterinarian College in 1986. Dr Runyon served as the Chief of Small Animal Surgery and a tenured Professor until 2012. Dr Runyon has numerous publications and awards for teaching and service.
- Effects of preoperative administration of ketoprofen on whole blood platelet aggregation, buccal mucosal bleeding time, and hematologic indices in dogs undergoing elective ovariohysterectomy
- Effects of preoperative administration of ketoprofen on anesthetic requirements and signs of postoperative pain in dogs undergoing elective ovariohysterectomy
- Fracture of L7 vertebral articular facets and pedicles following dorsal laminectomy in a dog
- Serum parathyroid hormone-related protein concentration in a dog with a thymoma and persistent hypercalcemia
- Evaluation of the tissue response of organic, metallic, ceramic and osteoceramic tooth roots
- Orthopedic surgery, bone healing
- Recognizing and treating pain in birds
- Force-plate and clinical evaluation of the treatment of naturally occurring canine osteoarthritis with chondroprotectives
GrantsDVM Graduate Scholarship (Kyle Clark)
- DVM Graduate Program Award
- Atlantic Veterinary College